Thursday, January 28, 2016

Smoker Profile: Steve McClelland (Owner of Smoker's Paradise of Clearwater)


What was your first cigar experience?
When I was 18 most of my friends smoked cigarettes, but I never did because I don't care for the smell of cigarette smoke. Then a new friend I met was smoking a small wood tip cigar, and I thought it smelled pretty good. The cigar was a Black & Mild. I asked if I could have one and he said yes. I enjoyed the aroma much more than cigarettes. This caused me to explore the world of cigars to see what I was missing out on. It's been a long time since I smoked a Black & Mild, but I still remember how I used to enjoy them when I was a novice cigar smoker.


What are your top 3 favorite cigars?
1. Arturo Fuente Curlyhead - I used to buy these when I was young and wanted to smoke a quality cigar, but I had a tight budget. I can count on Arturo Fuente to produce a good premium cigar no matter how low the price. Smoking these makes me feel young again.

2. Tabanero Toro - This is currently the cigar I smoke most often. It's spicy without having too much bite. It's a great medium-bodied smoke with complex flavor.

3. CAO Flathead 554 Camshaft - I've always liked enjoying a cigar after a big meal, and this cigar tastes like dessert. It's smooth and chocolaty, and is consistently satisfying.

What is your go to cigar shop?
Smoker's Paradise of Clearwater has always been my favorite cigar destination. Alfio was always willing to help me out when I was an inexperienced cigar smoker, and I am very happy to carry on that tradition as the current owner/operator. 
What do you look for when entering a shop's humidor?
I've been in many different humidors and they vary in size and design while still being a good humidor, and they have one thing in common: The Sound. Humidors with a good seal provide complete silence once inside. It makes me feel like I'm alone with no pressure to hurry up and choose a cigar. It allows me to take the time to look over every cigar in there. I like that feeling.

What is your cigar time usually like?
My cigar time is about enjoyment. I'm either smoking cigars with good company, or I'm alone reminiscing about good times with family and friends. Occasionally my cigar time will be contemplating a decision to make, and my cigar will serve as a focal point to keep my attention away from any distractions, but mainly it's about enjoyment. For me, cigars make a good time great.

No comments:

Post a Comment