Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Smoker Profile: David Colon (Co-Founder of Cigars Guns & Whiskey)



What was your first cigar experience?
My first cigar experience was on a business trip to Toronto during the summer of 1996. A colleague of mine who had been smoking cigars for quite some time, invited me to go with him to a local Tobacco store by the name of Thomas Hinds Tobacconist. Not only was this my first exposure to cigars, but it was my introduction to genuine Habanos. It was there that I purchased my very first Cohiba Siglo VI, for which I paid about a day's per-diem for one stick, due to the exorbitant taxes on tobacco in Canada. While it was my first time smoking and I didn't really know what I was doing, I quickly got the hang of it and started enjoying that amazing smoke. It was at that moment that my passion for fine cigars began to evolve and it has been a never ending love story ever since. 


What are your top 3 favorite cigars?
My top 3 favorite cigars currently would have to be...Fuente Eye of the Shark for price point, Tatuaje TAAs, and the Cohiba Robusto Habano when I can get my hands on them. 

What is your go to cigar shop?
Because I don't have a local cigar shop in the area, I tend to buy many of my cigars online. When time permits, I like to visit Cigar Hustler in Deltona and Corona Cigar in Lake Mary/Heathrow. 

What do you look for when entering a shop's humidor?
When entering a cigar shop humidor, I look for variety of quality cigars, manner in which they are displayed, and probably most importantly, the condition of the cigars. I always inspect cigars before purchasing them, making sure they are not too humid/most, dried or brittle and no signs of mold or other anomalies or imperfections. 

What is your cigar time usually like?
My typical cigar time consists of me in the Hideout (Lanai) with a good stick, a tasty Scotch, Bourbon, or craft beer pairing, and some relaxing music (typically smooth jazz, old Soul/R&B) to help set the mood, and a fire when it gets cold enough. While I enjoy smoking in groups and with friends, there's something about a long solo smoking session that allows me to reflect on life and the many challenges it often presents.

1 comment:

  1. A wine that blends pretty fine when paired with a cigar

    The red wine Porto, enriched with exquisite flavor is pretty compatible with cigars. It bonds well in terms of taste with cigars. It has the sweet essence that you may not find in other wines. It contains a fine touch of brandy. The deep and strong tang of vintage is what the Porto holds when paired with the cigars. It's a notable pairing that compliments the taste of each other. Try pairing it with those exquisite how to order cigars online in india.

    ReplyDelete